Friday, October 28, 2011
As I hinted in my previous (and brief) updates, I have quite a few changes coming to my blog. I hope to post much more often, and I am hoping I can provide more posts that will answer reader's desires. While I haven't had anyone directly contact me requested this or that, I have been closely watching the view counts for individual counts. It helps to give me an idea of what my coworkers (or the random "Googler") finds interesting or needs more information about.

Also, I have added a few things from Amazon to link to products I love. Just like the other ads on my site, but done directly through Amazon. They are one of the few sites online I trust *almost* 100%. *As an FYI to my readers, I do get paid a few cents (something like that) if folks click on the links for the products I discuss*

For now, I'd like to post on the week that has passed.

It has been busy my friends. I have been a working slave, but it is all for a good cause. I have my new SOAP note system up and running. On a whim, I decided that I would do digital versions of my daily take-home homework sheets that I give to parents. Usually on these sheets I note how the child behaves (using a checklist) and then handwrite the goals we are targeting and work to follow up with at home. That can take a long time to write (as I think I have lamented about in another post). But wowza - I'm loving the electronic versions! I have all my children planned and prepped for Monday. It allows me to spend more time creating fun take home activities that parents can utilize. I love to create personalized materials based on each child's particular difficulties and strengths, but sometimes I am strapped for time so that isn't feasible. Now it looks like I may have a bit more time in my schedule! You would think a sane person would use that time to... ya know... breathe and enjoy life. But, what can I say? I enjoy life by overworking. I am my father's child.

I also completed my second DynaVox AAC evaluations. Again, the process was relatively pain-free and easy to complete. One of the children was so excited, he kept saying, "Wow, wow, wow, wow!" over and over. He was practically jumping out of his chair at the thought of getting one of the devices to use.

I have to say... the biggest hurdle I have found in augmentative device trials (aside from making the sad decision if a child is not quite ready for a device) is the insurance process. For instance, Medicaid requires that we have the school sign a form saying that they are in agreement with the suggested device. It doesn't bind them to use the device *or* replace the device if it is broken. However, for some reason, some school districts are not so gung-ho about signing this wonderful form. The real people hurt in this bureaucratic business of the paperwork are the children and their families. This just delays the time before they can receive a device that will help them to communicate their wants and needs. Some insurances only cover a small percentage of the devices. Others will cover 100% with no need for a school concurrence form. It is a frustrating mess of a system, that is for certain.

*le sigh* is all I can think... for now, I will just have to dream of my "THERAPIST OF THE YEAR" award when I get a device to every child who needs one....


Post a Comment